Joseph Frassica, MD, is Head of Philips Research for the Americas and Chief Medical Officer for Philips North America where he focuses on leading broad-based medical, science and technology teams to bring clinically meaningful innovation to the bedside. Joe also serves as Professor of the Practice at the Institute for Medical Engineering and Science of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, on the staff of the Massachusetts General Hospital and Pediatric Editor for the Journal of Intensive Care Medicine.
Dr. Frassica earned his MD from Boston University School of Medicine, and his DDS from Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine. Joe completed residencies in Pediatrics and in Anesthesiology at the Boston City Hospital/Boston University School of Medicine and a fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School in Pediatric Critical Care.
Immediately prior to joining Philips, Joe served as Chief Medical Officer at the Holtz Children’s Hospital in Miami, Florida; Chief Medical Information Officer and Executive Medical Director of Aero-Medical Transport for the Jackson Health System – one of the nation’s largest publicly funded health systems; and Associate Chair for Clinical Affairs in the Department of Pediatrics and Professor of Clinical Pediatrics and Anesthesiology at the University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine. In this role, Joe served as the clinical informatics leader for Jackson’s six-hospital, 2,482-bed public health system along with its integrated health care delivery network of Miami-Dade Neighborhood Health Centers, public schools, corrections facilities, and mobile clinics. At Jackson Health, Joe was responsible for clinical oversight of the roll-out of a new core enterprise EMR with CPOE, documentation, and decision support; implementation of system-wide PACS and Radiology Information Systems; and updates of the system’s best of breed Anesthesia Information System. He was also responsible for the clinical direction of one of the nation’s largest and most comprehensive children’s hospitals.
Joe has served in a variety of other academic and clinical leadership roles, including:
- Attending Pediatric Intensivist, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- Visiting Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Harvard – MIT Division of Health Sciences Technology
- Director, Division of Pediatric Critical Care and Attending Anesthesiologist at UMass Memorial Medical Center
- Medical Director, Inpatient Services at Children’s Medical Center, UMass Memorial Medical Center
- Attending Pediatric Intensivist, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts
- Attending Anesthesiologist, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston
- Chief, Department of Anesthesia, Franciscan Children’s Hospital, Boston
- Staff Physician, Neonatal Medicine, South Shore Hospital, Weymouth and Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Director of Dental Anesthesia for the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts